Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Group Two


Heather, Angie, Sarah & Jason

18 comments:

Darcy said...

I really enjoyed the activity your group demonstrated in today's class. Practical, fun, easy to understand and completely relevant to the IRP's. I look forward to using that activity one day myself.

Alexis said...

Thought the lesson was great. The found poetry activity is highly enjoyable and engaging. I'd make sure to give ample time for it, even a full class as Bhu mentioned.

Thought your presentation portion was informative and clear.

Thanks for giving us a great idea for introducing a potentially difficult topic!

Alexis said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kelly Laird said...

I had a blast during this presenation. I love poetry and am really excited to use this in my class on numerous occasions. I loved that is really engaged kids WITH poetry. They got to manipulate words and create from there. The idea of the magnetic poetry board in a class is a great idea and a great extension to learning! This activity allows the students to take ownership of their work and feel proud of something - and it is fun!

Jennifer said...

I thought the found poetry activities were both excellent. What a great way to get students involved in enjoying poetry. I was certainly engaged. The process of arranging the found words with other people was insightful as, in our pair, both of us had to compromise sometimes but in the end we had a very interesting poem that we were both proud of. I liked how these activities are easily inclusive of LD and ESL students. In the discussion that followed, the idea of having a set of magnetic poetry words for spontaneous poetry writing would be a great addition to the classroom following this lesson. Great work!

Saint Saul said...

Well Done. I thought the found poetry was an excellent activity. Jennifer mentioned that this activity is great for LD and ESL students, but I would add that it can easily be made more complex for your more advanced studnets. It was fun, easy to be engaged with and multi-leveled. Angie's example on the overhead was a good way to demonstrate, discuss, and teach students how something as simple as grammatical changes, punctuation, and structure affect the meaning of poems. It was fun and informative. Great work you guys.

Anonymous said...

I loved the found poetry activity introduced in your lesson. There are so many benefits of creating poetry in this way. Students are required to cooperate in group work, manipulate language, be creative and most importantly take ownership of their work. The great thing about the activity is how it is so multilevel and can be relevant for so many different types of learners.
My school associate had 2 sets of magnetic words in her classroom. Students could go up to the board during downtime in class and create short poems. If they created one they liked they would circle it and add their name and block. Every Friday, my school associate would choose her favorite poem of the week and award that student a small prize. It was great to see how many students got involved in creating poetry!

Great work!!... I look forward to using this activity in the future =)

Marie said...

I really enjoyed the second activity. My partner and I took turns in creating lines, and it was pretty fun seeing how the poem turned out. I agree that students should be encouraged to share their work with their classmates (if they are comfortable). I know that in my grade eight class, students were more than willing to share (sometimes wanting to read multiple poems aloud). One of the best parts of having poetry in the classroom as an accessible medium, is that they forget to be afraid of it! Thanks for the great ideas.

Arzina said...

I thought this was a very engaging and creative activity. I was going to comment on allowing the students to pick their words and cut them out versus the way this group did it ( having the words already cut up and ready to go). I was just thinking about this and I thought that while it might be interesting to have the students cut their own words I think it would be a better idea to have the teacher cut it up for them. The reason behind this is I think that if the studets got into their groups and cut their wown words it may just turn into an activity of 'making' poetry rather than 'finding' it. For example the group may decide they want to create a poem about love and therefore cut out words that only fit into their already choosen theme. Unless of course you get the students to cut out the words before you tell them what the activity is. I'm curious for those of you that have done or have seen this done how it worked out with the students cutting out the words.
Great job though, I really had fun!

Anonymous said...

Found poetry offers opportunities for students to "break out of their shells" and begin to feel comfortable, or at ease, with poetry. I thought this group did well in creating a lesson that was "hands on"; tactile learning is inclusive of the visual, auditory, and kinesthetic learning styles as well. During my extended practicum I had the opportunity to teach grade 8 poetry and by allowing students to organize and create their own style of writing poetry. In addition, this type of activity, this type of writing, allows students to be creative thus, allowing them to experience confidence in their own work. Overall, I enjoyed this presentation and believe this type of lesson can be used and even adapted to any classroom level. Good job everyone!

Anonymous said...

The found poetry activity was great!

The activity really played towards kinesthetic learners who traditionally get left out in most classroom situations.

A great way to make poetry fun!

Anonymous said...

The poetry activity was great. I find that in teaching there is a greater need for kinesthetic activities in order to engage the students and keep their minds open. The making a found poem was a creative idea. It was good to get the students involved in making poetry in order to appreciate rather than focusing on just dissecting it in class. This allows the students to see poetry as more than just another element of class that is irrelevant to them in the larger world. I appreciate the fact that your group is trying to get students to think about writing poetry outside of class.

I would agree with Arzina that it is best to have the teacher cut out the words from the newspaper articles because it would turn out to be a making poetry from words in the newspaper. It is more challenging to be given the words by the teacher so you cannot select all the consonants that you need. This way the students are given the opportunity to be creative in a classroom environment.

Overall, it was a great activity and I look forward to using it in the future.

Iaren said...

I really enjoyed the activity for this lesson, and thought it was a great way to introduce students to poetry. Demonstating how word placement and word choice completely changes the meaning behind a poem was also a great idea. As an intro lesson, I think this is a great idea.

Orla said...

I absolutely loved your lesson! Found poetry is something that is accessible to all students, regardless of ability or English level. The activity is interactive and actively engages students in poetry. I agree with the others who mentioned the importance of cutting out words in advance. If students are cutting out words, they might get wrapped up in looking for words that "fit" better than others. When the activity is already set up, the poetry is spontaneous and creative. Rather than a typical poetry lesson of reading a poem and discussing it afterwards, students get an opportunity to become poets. I am looking forward to the day that I get to use this in my own classroom. Thanks for the idea. Great concept and very well presented!

Carolyn said...

Poetry Lesson – Found poetry
I really enjoyed the lesson on found poetry to introduce the poetry unit. Sadly, I was only introduced to found poetry in my first year poetry class here at SFU. As an educator, I believe that found poetry is a safe means to approach poetry by giving students choices, yet allowing them to experiment with words. I always found growing up that poetry was hard to write because I felt that I was working out of a paper bag. By giving students an envelop full of words or by giving them the choice to find words, this allows them the freedom to create with structure and guidance. Found poetry is excellent for teaching word emphasis, sound emphasis and space. I feel that space in poetry is important: where the words are placed, where the breath in voice is placed and where the white spaces in text lie. I found that during my practicum, students found it difficult and did not know where to pause when they read poetry. Looking at the white space and punctuation are just a couple ways to tell where to breathe and pause. I strongly believe that found poetry also emphasizes word placement. Students need to understand that word placement has SO much to do with how the poem is read. Students then begin to realize that poetry can be so subjective and different meanings occur when word placement, breath and space come into play. As an educator, I will take with me the idea of having magnetic words on the whiteboard in my classroom so students are free to play with words.

Anonymous said...

I did rather enjoy your presentation but was left wondering a few things. These include how would you use found poetry as a lead-in to other, more difficult forms of poetry? Secondly, I have never heard of found poetry before a broader definition of what it is and how it is used would have been extremely beneficial to me. Perhaps a written definition would have been helpful.

JB said...

I thought this activity would be a great way to introduce poetry at any grade level. It is fun and interactive, and and excellent way to show students that poetry can be fun,as well as introduce them to the creative process of poetry which they will experience for themselves as they write poetry as part of the unit.
As always, the more excitement and interest we can generate in our classes, the more our students will want to learn what we are introducing to them.

Anonymous said...

I thought this lesson was great and provided me with some great ideas on introducing poetry to a class. I think that found poetry can be such a great way to get students thinking outside the box when it comes to poetry.

I know that in early high school I believed that poetry had to rhyme or follow a structured pattern. Thus, this activity really opens the doors for students to play with the words of everyday life and sort them into a piece of poetry without having to adhere to a strict template!

Thanks you for the great ideas!