I thought this was a great lesson idea! This is a very relevant topic for students of all ages, as stereotyping continues to be an issue in classrooms. I thought the activity was well-planned out. The use of the chart allows students to clearly map out their thoughts and provides visual learners with a clear plan to follow. Looking through the magazines is hands-on and engaging. I really like the use of the balloon, too! I think this sends a strong message to students about the importance of ending stereotyping. This topic is one that will lead to a lot of discussion in a classroom and will likely engage many students. Great work!
The lesson on stereotypes was great because it was multilevel and designed to incorportate and adapt to students who have different learning styles. The lesson is a great root for discussion, partner and group work. In addition, this lesson highlighted the value of constructivism and its focus on students creating meaning using curriculum as a vehicle or tool for interrpretation and analysis.
I, as did Sue, enjoyed our discussion on evaluation and assessment. I think this is one such area of education that deserves more attention because of its place in classrooms, schools, homes, and communities. One's views about valuation and assessment may coincide with one's personality type and therefore, to come to a universal agreement about the right way to evaluate is impossible. However, through ongoing dialogue and positive feedback, the importance of evaluation and assessment may pave the way for change in education.
The stereotypes lesson was great because you could use it in as a hook as the group did, a final lesson after studying a novel or a unit that examines stereotypes or even as a lesson in itself. I would however probably assign or get the students to pick roles while doing this activity (example, someone to cut, paste, write out the questions, timer and presenter) to ensure that all the group members are staying on task. The only think I worry about is students assigning stereotypes to people in the class; I think someone mentioned this in class. So I think it is crucial to really know your class and your students so you can anticipate how the conversation might flow and how to stem hurtful comments. I really loved the popping of the balloons as a final demonstration of getting rid of stereotypes. What would also be neat was if you put stereotypes to ‘rest’ and create tombstones with the stereotype names on it (instead of on a balloon) and than have a funeral at the end of class. As for assessment I really feel that you have to know your class and students before you can make any type of assessment plans. For me, I would rather wait on assessment until I’m in a class instead of sitting and discussing it. As we noted, everyone has his or her own views and preferences and as long as you have a rationale for why you choose to assess a particular assignment in the way you did I think any form of assessment is fine. Although, I strongly feel that you have to have a variety of summative and formative assessment in your classroom.
Another great lesson! I thought this group used a lot of good ideas to introduce the topic of stereotyping. I love that your lesson focused on a lot of hands-on work as well as group interaction. Looking through the magazines was fun and engaging, and having the balloons as a visual and auditory prop was a great addition. I can see a lot of kids really buying into this lesson and thinking critically about the negative effects of stereotyping. However, there is definitely a fear that names will start to be thrown around, and feelings could get hurt...as other people have mentioned, I too feel it is really important to know your students and assess their maturity level before delving into this topic too early on.
I thought the lesson on stereotypes was excellent and completely relevant to students of any age. I tend to agree with Suzy, if you use this lesson in the classroom, one would have to go to extra measures to know the students very well and to ensure the classroom is a safe and respectful place. The chance of students calling out other students is very real and can lead to a very difficult situation. Nonetheless, great hook, great ideas and very engaging. Well done!
I think overall, the group did a great job of scaffolding their lesson to analyze and deconstruct stereotypes. I found that it was very engaging for many learning styles, in particular kinesthetic and visual learning (with the magazine analysis, and cutting and pasting). The bursting of the balloon as a symbol for ‘popping’ stereotypes was a nice touch – and yes, would definitely keep students attentive. As someone mentioned in the class, however, one certainly has to be very cautious and sensitive how you present and discuss stereotypes (since they will exist in different in various forms in the classrooms you teach). The inclusion of the Simpsons clip you chose does seem appropriate. The only thought I had, but I’m starting to second-guess myself, is: are all the students you have really going be knowledgeable and aware of all the Canadian stereotypes? My question is mostly to address recently immigrated and some ESL children in general. I do think, however, one could assume, even though some students might not know all the mainstream stereotypes, that anyone living in Canada (and even outside of Canada) has some sort of stereotype, or can recognize or recall stereotypes, of Canada and Canadians. Anyways – maybe my thought bubble needs bursting. Good job!
Again, I was exremely impressed by the hook, I thought it was a unique idea and would definitly engage the students. It was interesting to get into our groups and discover how easily we could label our "sterotype" personality, it was almost alarming. I think when students do this it will serve as a great community and citizenship building lesson, as well as one that serves a literary purpose. With that being said, I agree with the other students that you have to ensure that your students will respect each other, and you have effective classroom management skills in place. Great job!
I really liked the sheets that you made for defining a stereotype and unpacking the meaning of pictures that we associate with that stereotype. Removing these pictures from a magazine and pasting them is a a good way to create remove from the image in order to analyze it and gain perspective. I also really liked that you used some popular teen magazines. I feel it is very important that students take a more critical view of the messages perpetuated in these magazines. I'm curious: is there a male equivalent to Cosmo that you could throw into the mix? Are there teen magazines from other cultures that you could consider? That may be broadening the idea too much, but it would give students perspective on the messages these magazines give if they compared several different kinds. The time in your presentation to discuss the meaning of the stereotype and "pop" them was quite short, however, in the real classroom you would no doubt carefully and sensitively engage in a discussion that would dispel popular stereotypes. One very minor thing to consider for classroom management: I would collect the magazines immediately after the sheets are completed. They would likely be distracting while you are trying to discuss what the students found.
I thought this presentation on stereotypes was great. I think this is such an important subject to teach students, as it not only affects literature, but it affects our everyday lives.
I believe it is important here to discuss the importance of knowing ones class. When dealing with this type of subject that has the potential to be hurtful to some students if the discussion is not facilitated properly, or a teacher does not know their class well enough to deal with this type of mature subject. I have seen a class get out of hand when dealing with stereotypes, and there were even tears!
I thought this lesson however was very well structured, and with a mature class, it would be very useful!
I liked this lesson also, for many of the reasons stated above, but share many of the caveats also. While I think stereotyping is a topic that could be addressed, I wonder if someone can really anticipate where a conversation on that level will go, and on a theoretical level, if you can, is it right to push them there? I think it is often difficult to find a balance between open discussion of a topic and dictating the kind of dialogue that should be happening. I am not saying that it is not possible, but I think that it should only be done with a class you know well, and possibly within the larger context of why do we have stereotypes at all? I also wonder if it wouldn't be interesting to actually tie it in to the lesson of stock characters. I would be interested to see see what kind of connections the students make there. I agree with Heather (surprise) that the sheet you guys designed was a really interesting way of upacking the whole idea of stereotypes in a more concrete manner. Well done.
The lesson presentation was unique. “Bursting stereotypes” was an interesting way of obtaining students attention about how their actions and the images in the media affect their everyday lives. It was interesting to see you bring in different current magazines in order to expose the stereotype because they are pertinent to students in the class. The worksheet was laid out well and was easy to follow. I was glad that you said that you would have given your students more time to work on it because our group did not finish.
The question that lingers in the back of my mind is one that was brought up in class. I am wondering what you would do to lead your students to bursting the stereotype if there discussion was stagnant and riddled with individuals that would not accept the stereotype for a social construction. Would you burst the bubble if the group had not seen past this?
The presentation was interesting with all these aspects of the modern in order to move into the curriculum. The activity would depend largely on the students because it requires them to be open-minded and unbiased toward others and aware of the affect of media on society.
I thought this was a very good lesson plan. It was engaging, gave students lots of things to do, and kept the pace going so that they wouldn't be bored by it. I also really liked the idea of bursting the balloon (stereotypes) after students evaluated and picked apart some of the more common stereotypes about people. I think this is a great way not only to introduce the idea of stereotypical characters, but also to have students really think about their opinions and perceptions of people and possibly reevaluate something they might have just gone along with before. Well executed, and well thought out.
I really enjoyed this lesson. I thought that using magazines to illustrate stereotypical images students are likely to see everyday through the media was very effective and engaging. The balloon pop was a nice touch, and provides a great visual of what we all hope will happen to stereotyping in our lives. I think that it is equally important to follow up a lesson like this with an activity such as journaling, which you mentioned at the end of your presentation. Students need time to think issues through and journaling is a great way to do it. Very engaging lesson. Thanks!
I found your lesson presentation on introducing students to stereotypes very well done. I can not wait to ’borrow’ some of your ideas in my own classroom this fall. One suggestion I have for you is to have a student lead discussion of dispelling stereotypes before popping the balloons and then allowing each group to pop their own balloon. This process can act as a metaphor for students bursting their own misconceptions and use of stereotyping in their daily lives.
15 comments:
I thought this was a great lesson idea! This is a very relevant topic for students of all ages, as stereotyping continues to be an issue in classrooms. I thought the activity was well-planned out. The use of the chart allows students to clearly map out their thoughts and provides visual learners with a clear plan to follow. Looking through the magazines is hands-on and engaging. I really like the use of the balloon, too! I think this sends a strong message to students about the importance of ending stereotyping.
This topic is one that will lead to a lot of discussion in a classroom and will likely engage many students. Great work!
The lesson on stereotypes was great because it was multilevel and designed to incorportate and adapt to students who have different learning styles. The lesson is a great root for discussion, partner and group work. In addition, this lesson highlighted the value of constructivism and its focus on students creating meaning using curriculum as a vehicle or tool for interrpretation and analysis.
I, as did Sue, enjoyed our discussion on evaluation and assessment. I think this is one such area of education that deserves more attention because of its place in classrooms, schools, homes, and communities. One's views about valuation and assessment may coincide with one's personality type and therefore, to come to a universal agreement about the right way to evaluate is impossible. However, through ongoing dialogue and positive feedback, the importance of evaluation and assessment may pave the way for change in education.
The stereotypes lesson was great because you could use it in as a hook as the group did, a final lesson after studying a novel or a unit that examines stereotypes or even as a lesson in itself. I would however probably assign or get the students to pick roles while doing this activity (example, someone to cut, paste, write out the questions, timer and presenter) to ensure that all the group members are staying on task. The only think I worry about is students assigning stereotypes to people in the class; I think someone mentioned this in class. So I think it is crucial to really know your class and your students so you can anticipate how the conversation might flow and how to stem hurtful comments. I really loved the popping of the balloons as a final demonstration of getting rid of stereotypes. What would also be neat was if you put stereotypes to ‘rest’ and create tombstones with the stereotype names on it (instead of on a balloon) and than have a funeral at the end of class.
As for assessment I really feel that you have to know your class and students before you can make any type of assessment plans. For me, I would rather wait on assessment until I’m in a class instead of sitting and discussing it. As we noted, everyone has his or her own views and preferences and as long as you have a rationale for why you choose to assess a particular assignment in the way you did I think any form of assessment is fine. Although, I strongly feel that you have to have a variety of summative and formative assessment in your classroom.
Another great lesson! I thought this group used a lot of good ideas to introduce the topic of stereotyping. I love that your lesson focused on a lot of hands-on work as well as group interaction. Looking through the magazines was fun and engaging, and having the balloons as a visual and auditory prop was a great addition. I can see a lot of kids really buying into this lesson and thinking critically about the negative effects of stereotyping. However, there is definitely a fear that names will start to be thrown around, and feelings could get hurt...as other people have mentioned, I too feel it is really important to know your students and assess their maturity level before delving into this topic too early on.
Great work!
I thought the lesson on stereotypes was excellent and completely relevant to students of any age. I tend to agree with Suzy, if you use this lesson in the classroom, one would have to go to extra measures to know the students very well and to ensure the classroom is a safe and respectful place. The chance of students calling out other students is very real and can lead to a very difficult situation. Nonetheless, great hook, great ideas and very engaging. Well done!
I think overall, the group did a great job of scaffolding their lesson to analyze and deconstruct stereotypes. I found that it was very engaging for many learning styles, in particular kinesthetic and visual learning (with the magazine analysis, and cutting and pasting). The bursting of the balloon as a symbol for ‘popping’ stereotypes was a nice touch – and yes, would definitely keep students attentive. As someone mentioned in the class, however, one certainly has to be very cautious and sensitive how you present and discuss stereotypes (since they will exist in different in various forms in the classrooms you teach). The inclusion of the Simpsons clip you chose does seem appropriate. The only thought I had, but I’m starting to second-guess myself, is: are all the students you have really going be knowledgeable and aware of all the Canadian stereotypes? My question is mostly to address recently immigrated and some ESL children in general. I do think, however, one could assume, even though some students might not know all the mainstream stereotypes, that anyone living in Canada (and even outside of Canada) has some sort of stereotype, or can recognize or recall stereotypes, of Canada and Canadians. Anyways – maybe my thought bubble needs bursting. Good job!
Again, I was exremely impressed by the hook, I thought it was a unique idea and would definitly engage the students. It was interesting to get into our groups and discover how easily we could label our "sterotype" personality, it was almost alarming. I think when students do this it will serve as a great community and citizenship building lesson, as well as one that serves a literary purpose. With that being said, I agree with the other students that you have to ensure that your students will respect each other, and you have effective classroom management skills in place. Great job!
I really liked the sheets that you made for defining a stereotype and unpacking the meaning of pictures that we associate with that stereotype. Removing these pictures from a magazine and pasting them is a a good way to create remove from the image in order to analyze it and gain perspective. I also really liked that you used some popular teen magazines. I feel it is very important that students take a more critical view of the messages perpetuated in these magazines. I'm curious: is there a male equivalent to Cosmo that you could throw into the mix? Are there teen magazines from other cultures that you could consider? That may be broadening the idea too much, but it would give students perspective on the messages these magazines give if they compared several different kinds.
The time in your presentation to discuss the meaning of the stereotype and "pop" them was quite short, however, in the real classroom you would no doubt carefully and sensitively engage in a discussion that would dispel popular stereotypes.
One very minor thing to consider for classroom management: I would collect the magazines immediately after the sheets are completed. They would likely be distracting while you are trying to discuss what the students found.
I thought this presentation on stereotypes was great. I think this is such an important subject to teach students, as it not only affects literature, but it affects our everyday lives.
I believe it is important here to discuss the importance of knowing ones class. When dealing with this type of subject that has the potential to be hurtful to some students if the discussion is not facilitated properly, or a teacher does not know their class well enough to deal with this type of mature subject. I have seen a class get out of hand when dealing with stereotypes, and there were even tears!
I thought this lesson however was very well structured, and with a mature class, it would be very useful!
Thank you for the great ideas!
I liked this lesson also, for many of the reasons stated above, but share many of the caveats also. While I think stereotyping is a topic that could be addressed, I wonder if someone can really anticipate where a conversation on that level will go, and on a theoretical level, if you can, is it right to push them there? I think it is often difficult to find a balance between open discussion of a topic and dictating the kind of dialogue that should be happening. I am not saying that it is not possible, but I think that it should only be done with a class you know well, and possibly within the larger context of why do we have stereotypes at all?
I also wonder if it wouldn't be interesting to actually tie it in to the lesson of stock characters. I would be interested to see see what kind of connections the students make there.
I agree with Heather (surprise) that the sheet you guys designed was a really interesting way of upacking the whole idea of stereotypes in a more concrete manner. Well done.
The lesson presentation was unique. “Bursting stereotypes” was an interesting way of obtaining students attention about how their actions and the images in the media affect their everyday lives. It was interesting to see you bring in different current magazines in order to expose the stereotype because they are pertinent to students in the class. The worksheet was laid out well and was easy to follow. I was glad that you said that you would have given your students more time to work on it because our group did not finish.
The question that lingers in the back of my mind is one that was brought up in class. I am wondering what you would do to lead your students to bursting the stereotype if there discussion was stagnant and riddled with individuals that would not accept the stereotype for a social construction. Would you burst the bubble if the group had not seen past this?
The presentation was interesting with all these aspects of the modern in order to move into the curriculum. The activity would depend largely on the students because it requires them to be open-minded and unbiased toward others and aware of the affect of media on society.
I thought this was a very good lesson plan. It was engaging, gave students lots of things to do, and kept the pace going so that they wouldn't be bored by it. I also really liked the idea of bursting the balloon (stereotypes) after students evaluated and picked apart some of the more common stereotypes about people. I think this is a great way not only to introduce the idea of stereotypical characters, but also to have students really think about their opinions and perceptions of people and possibly reevaluate something they might have just gone along with before. Well executed, and well thought out.
I really enjoyed this lesson. I thought that using magazines to illustrate stereotypical images students are likely to see everyday through the media was very effective and engaging. The balloon pop was a nice touch, and provides a great visual of what we all hope will happen to stereotyping in our lives. I think that it is equally important to follow up a lesson like this with an activity such as journaling, which you mentioned at the end of your presentation. Students need time to think issues through and journaling is a great way to do it. Very engaging lesson. Thanks!
I found your lesson presentation on introducing students to stereotypes very well done. I can not wait to ’borrow’ some of your ideas in my own classroom this fall. One suggestion I have for you is to have a student lead discussion of dispelling stereotypes before popping the balloons and then allowing each group to pop their own balloon. This process can act as a metaphor for students bursting their own misconceptions and use of stereotyping in their daily lives.
Post a Comment