Tuesday, June 19, 2007

For Week Seven


For this week, I thought we could share our impressions of the Bard plays we attended. (See prompts below). Warning! If you haven't seen a play yet, there may be "spoilers"!
Reminders: Assignment Two is due next class, Tuesday, June 26. Also, have a look at the two handouts and the reading, Chapter 6 (p. 199-221) and Chapter 9 (p. 287-302).

3 comments:

Kelly Laird said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jason said...

Unfortunately, I haven't seen any of the productions yet, so I won't be able to contribute to the conversation most people are having at this point. I have been working quite a bit on my paper, which is a poetry lesson plan and enjoyed creating something that I will hopefully be able to use in the near future. I challenged myself to pull out a poem I had started awhile back and edited it and finished it for this paper. Perhaps because I have a musical background and I am particularly interested in abstract modern art (be it music, poetry, paintings etc), I find the writing of poetry easier, or at least more enjoyable, than the short story assignment. That said, I don't feel that my poem is anything special, but I just enjoy playing with language literally, aurally and visually - like a musician and/or painter.

Anyways, I'm looking forward to tomorrow's discussions!

Jason

Saint Saul said...

I am writing this late because I say Julius Caesar which opened later. What a great play. To a certain extent, because of the fact it is a historical play, the events were already written for Shakespeare. This left him with only the dialog and events outside the Roman political realm to write about. But, he invested the characters with such complex humanity, and did such an outstanding job at envisioning what things might have looked like behind the scenes, that the result was a powerful and poignant experience that left the viewers feeling like they were eyewitnesses to the actual events. The dialog was superb; so many of Shakespeare's famous quotes come from this play. However, I think the real power of the play comes from the fact it explores themes that are universally recognizable: ambition, power, envy, vanity, ego, betrayal, and revenge. All in all, there's a reason for everyone to enjoy the play.