It's very exciting to be starting our class postings here! I'm hoping that once you get used to the format you will feel comfortable sharing your Reading Logs and other comments here. As we attempt to keep pace with the ever-changing technology of the twenty-first century, perhaps you will agree it is a useful way to learn from each other. I'm looking forward to hearing from you.
Wednesday, April 4, 2007
Welcome to Educ 412
It's very exciting to be starting our class postings here! I'm hoping that once you get used to the format you will feel comfortable sharing your Reading Logs and other comments here. As we attempt to keep pace with the ever-changing technology of the twenty-first century, perhaps you will agree it is a useful way to learn from each other. I'm looking forward to hearing from you.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
13 comments:
Hello everyone. I was thinking about the articles we read in class and it really challenged me to critique how I approached reading with my class during 405 last semester. In future, I hope to give students more choices and classtime for reading and allow the innate joy of reading to weave it's spell (while sneakily increasing their reading skills-ha!). I love the idea that the ability to read isn't static, I plan on telling my class that I'm still learning to read, too.
Hi everyone!
My name is Bhu and I just finished my extended practicum at Burmaby North Secondary. I taught 2 English 8s, 2 English 10s, and 2 Communications 12 classes. I come from the Burnaby Community Module, which was situated at Forest Grove Elementary.
It feels really odd being on the other end as student vs. teacher!! I felt like a real student again with my back pack!
Hope you all have a great week =) See you next Tuesday
Bhu
Greetings Greetngs Falicitations Salutations!
Hi everyone,
I'm Carolyn and I was a member of the Burnaby Community Module. I just completed my long practicum at Burnaby Central Secondary (the best school EVER..or at least I think so!). During both of my practicums I had the chance to teach, English 8, 10, 11 and Communications 11.
I look forward to working with all of you and hearing all of your great experiences! See you next week!
Bye bye!
Carolyn
Hello! I have just finished my short practicum in China. I'd like any hints/advice I could get about the long practicum. I know I'll be doing high school English and Socials/Humanities and I hope I'll be placed at a school somewhere in the Valley (I live in Abbotsford!). I agree with Bhu-I was completely in "teacher" mode and it's a strange feeling wearing a backpack again! See everyone next week! *sarah*
Hello Educ 412!
My name is Suzanne (officially on the roster), but I do go by Suzy in my everyday life. Sorry to confuse!
I finished my long practicum at Burnaby Mountain Secondary, teaching grade 10 English and grade 12 Academic Reading and Writing, as well as core support for all grade levels.
I am looking forward to reading and writing and sharing our ideas about teaching English in Secondary School. Yesterday’s class has already got me thinking about the role of reading in the classroom!
See you next week,
Suzy
Hello,
I have finished my 405 practicum along with many others in the class. I spent the fall at Templeton Secondary getting my feet wet with a grade eight and nine English class and a Drama eight class. In January I crossed the second narrows and spent four months at Seycove Secondary where I had the priviledge to teach English nine,two tens,an eleven, a twelve and Lit twelve, PE nine and French eight. I have had a chance to meet a few colleagues already and look forward to meeting the rest.
Darcy
Hello!
My name is Deanna and I just completed my long practicum at Moscrop Secondary School where I taught English 8, 3 English 9s and 2 Dance blocks (grades 9-12.) Like Bhu, I was also a part of the Burnaby Community Module.
During the month off between 405 and now, I have been working as a TOC in Burnaby. I've been having a lot of fun, and I'm looking forward to having my own classroom really soon! *fingers crossed for all of us*
See you Tuesday,
Deanna =)
Hello everyone. I'm Mandy from the Vancouver Community Module. I just finished my long practicum at Handsworth Secondary school in North Van. I taught Humanties 8 and Special Education. Like Bhu, I too find it weird to be back on the other side. But, I hope to be gainfully employed soon.
Hello Education 412,
I am Lisa Merz and, like Sarah, I have returned from China after having completed my short practicum. It was a wonderful experience teaching in another country! I taught a grade 12 History and grade 12 English class. I would love to teach these two subjects in the future. I am looking forward to my 405 semester.
I have a double major in English and History. This semester I am also completing my English Honors in an area that I love, Shakespeare’s Sonnets. I am very excited about Bard on the Beach because last year the plays were excellent.
In this class, I am looking forward to reading more about different strategies that incorporate all different learning styles and good discussions.
Sincerely,
Lisa M.
Hi Everyone,
My name is Meghan, and I am a member of the DUC (Diversity in the Urban Classroom) module. I just finished my 405 at Queen Elizabeth Secondary in Surrey. I taught English and Social Studies 8, English 10, and Co-op 11. I am originally from Sidney BC (Vancouver Island), and at the end of the summer semester I will be moving to Revelstoke BC. Hope everyone enjoys the beautiful weather this weekend, see you on Tuesday!
Hi everyone!
I'm Lena and I just finished my long practicum at Port Moody Secondary where I taught English (10 & 11). My classes were great and I worked with a wonderful department (for those that may work in the district one day).
I really look forward to our discussions and I'll see you on Tuesday---Lena
Hi everyone. My name is Jason and I just finished my 405 practicum at Prince of Wales Secondary teaching Music and English. I had a great experience teaching in both the mainstream school and the enriched program/school. I'm really looking forward to getting to know everyone and I really look forward to reexamining and developing my writing.
I hope you all had a good weekend, see you Tuesday.
Jordan wrote:
Like many of you, I am also a new blogger. Up until now I've managed to escape this new wave of technological communication.
I am also a new student in the class.
I completed my double major (English and History) in the Maritimes of Canada. My 401/402 PDP experience took me to Trinidad and Tobago. In this short ITEM practicum I taught Secondary English. I've also recently completed my 405 practicum at Byrne Creek Secondary. I have taught units in English 9 and 10.
I enjoy reading, but if the novel hasn't hooked me by the third chapter, it never will.
If anyone wants to talk to me about the NBA playoffs, I'm all ears!!
I'll see you all in class :)
-Jordan
Post a Comment